Overview of the Hardware Engineer – Electronics role at WDI
WDI’s Hardware Development team plays a key role in the quality and performance of its products and impact on customer satisfaction. As experienced engineering professionals, our hardware developers possess the technical knowledge and skills required to design sophisticated hardware and resolve simple to very complex technical issues. Facing fast changing market demands encourages our team members to constantly study new technologies and improve their skills.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Current position would fit an intermediate Hardware Engineer with focus on circuit design and simulation as well as FPGA development.
- The Hardware Engineer cooperates with Software Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, System and Optical Engineers. It is expected that the Hardware Engineer also gains product level understanding in order to cooperate with other disciplines.
- The Hardware Engineer is involved in designing of new products, maintaining and improving the existing WDI products as well as supporting production and applications groups with documentation and troubleshooting when required.
- Specific duties:
- Hardware design from initial concept to manufacturing.
- Design and simulation of analog and digital circuits.
- Design and develop analog and digital circuitry and digital signal processors.
- Create designs that comply with applicable regulations (CE, UL, RoHS) – CE, laser safety.
- Create electronic schematics and PCB.
- Create or contribute to generating product and design documentation (user manuals, test and manufacturing procedures, BOMs).
- Provide engineering support for existing products: troubleshooting, component substitution, documentation.
- Cooperate with engineers in other disciplines to deliver successful products.
- Bachelors / Master’s Degree in Electronics, Electrical, or related technical field.
- Solid circuit design knowledge, both analog and digital
- Schematic capture, PCB layout and simulation
- Solid knowledge of common communication interfaces including RS-232, RS-485, SPI, I2C, LVDS
- Experience working with microcontrollers, FPGAs
- Hands on board bring up and troubleshooting
- VHDL coding skills preferable
- Experience with standard lab equipment: oscilloscopes, multimeters, signal generators.
- Computer proficiency using standard office applications.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Hardware Development – related skills
|SPECIALIZED SKILLS||Experience Level|
|Circuit design, analog and digital||Proficient|
|Microcontrollers and FPGA design experience||Proficient|
|Standard communication interfaces (SPI, UART, I2C)||Proficient|
|VHDL coding skills||At least familiar preferred|
|Experience with schematic and layout design using Mentor Graphics PADS or equivalent||Proficient|
|Experience with standard lab equipment||Proficient|
|Hands on board bring up and troubleshooting||Proficient|
|Embedded software development experience: C, C++, Eclipse||Familiar|
|Experience with 7 series FPGAs, Xilinx Vivado, VHDL||Is a plus|
|Exposure to optical systems||Is a plus|
|Excellent communication and presentation skills||Is a plus|